Trails and Tracks

lemen

Medlem
8 jan 2012
Hei!

I live in Norway, not to far from Gäddade, so I like to be your guest at your trails in that area.
I don't have a snowmobile yet, but looking for it.
The question is: what do I NEED to drive your trails?
I am a complete noob in snowmobiles so every tip is welcome.
I know I want a simple reliable snowmobile.
The question is more how hard do I need a longer track than 345cm?
The last salesman tried to sale me a machine with a 50cm wide and 396 long belt.
I think it is overdone.

Who has tips?

Last edited:

lemen

Medlem
8 jan 2012
haha, thanks, but that is not what I am loooking for.
I am more the kind that likes a Yamaha Venture or Polaris Indy. Need a 2-up skoter anyway. And I think a 800 is a bit overdone for a first sled.

lemen

Medlem
8 jan 2012
Yes, I did see that already. I am not stupid.
But something give me a trigger that it is not worth to go and look at this thing.
Somebody tries to sale it for 89000,- for a long time, and has to put down the price.
I even guess that the seller is so desperate that he tries to sale it to somebody who is looking for his FIRST SIMPLE SLED.

Maybe you can read this:
http://forum.snowmobile.se/showthread.php?39163-Snowmobile.se-Rules

lemen

Medlem
8 jan 2012
Yes I can read Svenska. Norsk is not my mothertongue, so writing in Norsk wich is readable for Swedish is not smart, so I write English in the international part

You are right I know almost what I want, but the question was and still is: do I need a longer "drivmatta" then 345cm for your trails ( løypes). Are there places were it is allowed in the deep snow without trails? I don't know.

The amount I want to use, is very wide. I like to have something, not to expensive. Let say under 20000 Nok. But if I can not find anything reliable and useful, I better go up in the price than buy something useless. But as said before, the length of the drivmatta ( I like this word) is the most important for me. I have to find something here in Norway anyway.

Another question is for example: how good works those expander for the drivmatta?
For some models you can add some length.
http://www.tracksusa.com/extension_packages.html

arjeplogarn

Välkänd medlem
11 mar 2008
Residenset
No you dont need a long tracked on the trails. If you are into trailriding I think you should focus on good comfort and suspension rather than track length. With the budget you have I would suggest you try a yamaha venture or a polaris edge touring. Those are pretty reliable and good comfort machines.

Lynxer

Välkänd medlem
18 jan 2009
Uttran
Found anything yet?
As Arjeplogarn wrote, go for comfort and suspension.
A few other things you might consider:
-2stroke, 4stroke or E-tec?
Both 4stroke and E-tec smell/smoke much less than ordinary 2stroke. With a 4stroke, you don't have to bother with the oil. E-tec is quite new and
might cost more than you are willing to spend though.
-Luggage box for everything you want to bring on your tour.
-Towbar, if you want to tow something, like a sled for passengers or packing.

Without mentioning any brands, it sounds like a touring model you are looking for.
Not very good for fooling around outside the trail but comfortable, stable and good for bringing passengers and luggage. Better go for a powerfull engine. You might not need all the power but better to have it IF you need it than realizing that it is to weak for what you want to use it for.
Many CC:s doesn't necessarily mean that it is much faster or more difficult to control. It rather means less RPM and more power when you are fully loaded with the wife behind you and the kids in a passengersled.
On the downside, if you get stuck, a big engine weighs more....

I started off as you, with very little knowledge and bought myself a 500cc enduro. Mostly because I got it for a good price from a friend. After that I accidently bought myself an older touring sled and soon realized that I liked that one better. Then I sold both of them and got myself a 1000cc 4-stroke touring sled and haven't regret it yet (part from an incident with a broken alternator).
Being 40+ and not brought up with snowmobiles, I prefer to go a bit slower and to be able to bring a passenger or two with me.
Hope this helped!

lemen

Medlem
8 jan 2012
@Silly Bear: that was a big shovel in this tread, some posts are a bit strange know, but I can understand it. Sad that the post from Monno is removed also. He meant it well what he wrote, I guess.

@Lynxer Yes your post is really helpful! I guess you are the same like me when you ride. Looking around to the beautifull white mountains.
The luggage box ( or storage place ) is high on our wish list. I will always carry some tools and spareparts. And of course food and coffee! And some extra.
I don't think I will need a towbehind sled. I am just with my wife, no kids and I am not having a cabin where I have to transport stuff to.
So just two persons with some luggage.

Because it is not allowed to drive here in Norway, I will not be able to drive every weekend. So it has to be cheap fun.
Maybe I will use at here at my property, to reach the woods. ( property is not too big )
If I can find an venture it would be great, but most of the time are they sold before I found out where in Norway the thing is standing and how many ferries I have to take to reach it :)
So at this time I am in contact with a seller of a Yamaha Enticer 410. Seems to be a reliable simple sled.
Only disadvantage is that it has not the bog comfort from the venture I guess. No hand warmers etc.
We will see how it ends.

Tips are still welcome!

lemen

Medlem
8 jan 2012
Lynx is my last choice. I am sure they are reliable and strong, but they are only sold in Europe, not in the USA. So it is not easy to find information ( workshopmanuals etc) about those. And spareparts are expensive of all the BRP products. It is quicker and cheaper to order parts in the USA then here at my local brp-dealer. So it is not the lynx itself-but the service afterwards.

Thanks anyway.

Lynxer

Välkänd medlem
18 jan 2009
Uttran
Ventures are great but what about a Bearcat? I am not saying you should by this one in paticular, I just picked one that could fill your needs. Bearcat has a wide range with different enginges, long tracks, wide tracks and so on.
The one in the link has the 4-stroke engine to save you from the exhausts. Most of them are equiped with luggage box from start. Usually there is some place by the engine to store a small set of tools. You really don't want to go anywhere without them anyhow. Not sure about the Venture or Bearcat but my Ski Doo also have a small compartment under the saddle. I store some tools, first aid kit, a flashlight and a tow-line there. Under the hood is another, more specialized set of tools, spark plugs and of course a spare belt.

lemen

Medlem
8 jan 2012
Thanks lynxer! I have to say that I like the bearcats. In facto Arctic Cat were the first sleds I looked at.
They looks like real traveling machines. (The Panther is to long for my trailer)
But there ar many with new engines, or new cilnders/pistons. Bearcat have I seen a lot with a revised gearbox. I have also find some at dealers sold with a broken gearbox "as-is"
So I start to be a bit of scared about the reliability of the Arctic Cats. ( sorry to all the proud arctic cat owners!)
Also the second hand prices are lower than the competition. So I conclude that they are not so reliable.
Maybe I am wrong, but it is my conclusion after what I found at the internet.

Lynxer

Välkänd medlem
18 jan 2009
Uttran
When it comes to quality differences between brands, I have to leave it to someone with more experience than me. In general, snowmobiles break down more often than e.g. cars. If this is because how they are built or how they are used, I really couldn't say. A friend just bought a -12 Arctic Cat and the rear suspension damper broke on the first tour. If this is because of bad quality, hard use or just snowmobiles in general doesn't rally matter. If that happened to my car I would be seriously upset and start questioning the quality of the rest of the car. The alternator on my Ski Doo broke after 6300 Km. Not what I would expect of a car.
A 2-stroke engine with new pistons or cylinders is normal after a couple of thousand kilometers. They wear out quite fast due to high RPM:s and it is normal to replace them as part of preventive maintenance. Gearboxes are a different thing....

lemen

Medlem
8 jan 2012
Hej Lynxer!
Thanks for your support. I had read your last post some days ago, but did not have the time to log-inn.
Sometimes my internet is so slooooooowwwww that I give up, and I had to make time free for a trip today: I have bought a Polaris Widetrak! 1998 model:)