School project

Lucass

Medlem
1 mar 2013
eindhoven
Hello everybody

I already posted this question in the Allmänna forumet.
But i will post it here again.

Currently i am conducting research for my school project. The research is about the Scandinavian snowmobile market en the subject is: Special cylinderheads.

Now i have a few questions:
1. Which Swedish companies, persons can mod snowmobile engines? Mods like porting the cylinder, make custom cylinderhead inserts and crankshaft balancing?

2. Are the stock cylinderheads often swapped with special ones?

3. Do the snowmobiles ofted get modded for more power? Or are most of the snowscooters still stock?

Hopefully you can help me with my research

Greetings
Lucas Rijnders
Netherlands

WestinMX

Välkänd medlem
6 jul 2010
Skutskär, Sweden, Sweden
Hey, I will try to help you a bit.
Promise me to not laugh your ass of because of my english ;)

1. One "big" companie is "Topplocksverkstan" witch is rough translated to "the cylinderhead workshop".
They are doing many engine mods on the most types of engines inclusive snowmobile ones, ex porting, crank balancing I guess.

We are a few who can modify ex heads on this forum too, some mods are quite simple to do for evereone who can use a milling machine.

2. that´s a little different, if we talk about open class in snowcross i think that the most of them are running with aftermarket or modified heads for higher compression ratio, better squisch angle/band for better responce and register together with tuned expansion chambers and cans.

I would not say a aftermarket or modified head is the most popular tuning part for sleds overall.

3. Like I wrote on the last question, in open class snoX is all of them tuned or modded, of not its more an "stock class" machine.

Then "Boondockers" or freeriders. If I say it from my own experience, Snowmobiling is expensive enough so first do I mod the chassi, longer track/boggie/tunnel, betterboards, Deep snow skiis etc..
ex an stock modern 800cc is really powerfull so tuning/engine mods isn't always necessary.

In many cases it will make enough difference to buy a clutch kit or a lower gear ratio.
That will also keep the sled reliable, tuning/engine mods do often need more service and love from the rider/mechanic.

For thoose who think an 800 isn't powerful enough is it quite popular to mount aftermarket expansion chamber or more, depends on how many cylinders the sled have, also ignition keys..
buy/build a Turbocharger kit is a common alternative too but not like the "pipe mod".
I would say that stock (Engine) machines is the most common..

Hope that gave a bit, good luck with you project!

/Erik